People usually get their wisdom teeth extraction between ages 18-25. So mine is overdue. Both of my bottom wisdom teeth are impacted. My private dentist charges $900-1200 per tooth! Vomit blood! That’s potentially kissing $2400 goodbye.
So I’ve gone for the cheapo method – polyclinic referral to a hospital’s dental services. Not only do I get a subsidised rate, I’m also hoping for hospitalisation leave instead of MC. Need to save MC for rainy days.
Below is a timeline of how things unveiled.
- 22 Jan 2017: I sent in an online request for a dentist appt at Woodlands Polyclinic on the NHG Online Appointment System.
- 23 Jan 2017: Received a call from the polyclinic to arrange my appt. Few days later, received a letter in the post stating my appt date and time.
- 10 Feb 2017 (Polyclinic): This was the earliest appt they had. I only had a consultation that lasted less than 10mins. Was initially offered to have my surgery at NUH because I live in the West but I asked for KTPH instead. (Btw I didn’t know that you can get a referral for a hospital in a different area! So I could have gone to Jurong polyclinic which is nearer to where I live to get a referral to KTPH!) Got my referral letter and called the number on the letter to arrange an appt with the KTPH dentist.
- 24 Feb 2017 (KTPH consultation): The earliest appt available was actually on 20 Feb, but I couldn’t make it that day. This session was basically the dentist discussing the options of LA VS GA and the risk of surgery (i.e. damage to trigeminal nerve).
- 20 March 2017 (KTPH surgery day): The earliest appt available was actually mid-March but I couldn’t make it due to work commitments.
So in summary,
- Waiting times: approx 2 weeks between each step (i.e. request – polyclinic, polyclinic – KTPH consultation, KPTH consultation – surgery).
Why did I choose KTPH? Well, I heard that the dentistry dept there is not bad! And there’s a specific dentist there who has many good reviews online about her wisdom tooth removal skills. She is Dr Sylvia Tay. Of course, being a subsidised patient, I don’t have the luxury to choose my dentist. But let’s just say I’m very lucky. 🙂
- Polyclinic: $15.10
- Consultation and Xray @ KTPH: $57.87
- Estimated cost for GA and 4-tooth extraction (excluding medications): $1400
- Estimated cost for LA and 2-tooth extraction (excluding medications): $800
- Actual cost for LA and 2-tooth extraction (including medications): $873.52
So, let me break it down for you:
- Actual cost with polyclinic referral: $873.52
- Actual cost without polyclinic referral: $1425.72
- Private dentist estimated cost: $1800-$2400
$15 polyclinic letter can save you $550! Worth it!